UK Space Agency
Insurance and liability
Mandatory insurance for obtaining authorization.
- The space activity operator will be held liable up to the amount of the purchased insurance (as of 10/01/15).
- For authorizations prior to 10/01/15, an explicit request for extending the liability ceiling is required.
- Insurance amount depends on nature of activity
- Approximate amount of 60 million €.
Space objects: Launch, return and control
Secretary of States
- Space object launch/control;
- All activity in outer space;
- Legal persons registered in the UK.
- Authorization covers the entire project duration
- Authorization forfeiture does not discharge the owner's obligations
Application must be made 6 months at the latest prior to starting any activity.
- Information on the applicant
- Last two years' financial accounts of the applicant
- Activity description
- Technical description of satellite, launcher and ground segment
- Flight plan and orbital parameters
- Transmitters and receivers description
- Mission cost
- Space debris reduction project
- Avoid space activity interference
- Appropriate disposal of licensed space object at the end of the space activity
- Liability insurance policy
6 500 £ Free of charge for scientific research or education.
- Authorization covers the entire project duration;
- Authorization forfeiture does not discharge the licensee obligations
The Secretary of State has the power to order any measure to ensure the activity's compliance with authorized/international obligations
The license transfer requires the Secretary of State's agreement.